Rainbow in a Glass
- A glass of water (fill as high as possible)
- White paper
- Cut a slot into the middle of a piece of paper
- Tape this onto the side of a glass so that the sun can pass through the opening onto the surface of the water in the glass
- Place the glass on a white piece of paper
- Try to arrange the glass directly in the sunlight until you see a mini rainbow appear below the glass!
How does it happen?
- A rainbow is a visual phenomenon that appears as a band of colours when the sun’s light rays shine on water
- When the light passes from air to the water, it separates into seven colours of the rainbow: violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red
- Rainbows can appear in the sky, water fountains, waterfalls, and now your glass at home!