Ocean at Home
- 1 clean bottle with cap (try a 2L bottle)
- Canola Oil
- Food Colouring
- Fill the bottle halfway with water
- Add a few drops of food colouring to the bottle and mix. You can use blue to make it look more like water, or get creative by adding any colour you want, or mix colours!
- Using a funnel, add oil to fill up the rest of the bottle (leave a couple of inches at the top)
- Lay the bottle on its side and gently swish the bottle back and forth to see the ocean that has formed inside
- Bonus Fun: You can also add little shells or beads into the bottle to create a beautiful ocean
How does it happen?
- This experiment allows your child to see how waves are formed
- Waves are created by gravitational forces while the earth spins
- Oil and water don’t mix, so the energy they create inside forms waves when they move together