- 1 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons of vinegar
- Paper towel
- Optional: cookie cutters to make fun shapes for the kids to colour and decorate later
What to do:
1. Heat 1 cup of milk in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes. It should be hot, but not boiling.
2. Add in 4 tablespoons of vinegar
3. Stir for about 1 minute. Clumps should form in the liquid as you stir.
4. Pour the mixture into a strainer to separate the clumps; press on them to get the excess liquid out.
5. Put the remaining substance onto a paper towel to draw out the rest of the liquid. While it’s soft, use a cookie cutter to make it into whatever shapes you want! You can add food colouring as well.
6. Put them aside to dry for about 2 days until your plastic is ready! Colour them if you want, or decorate them more. These can be great for hanging around the house or even for Christmas tree decorations!
Acid in the vinegar breaks down the protein in the milk, creating a clump that hardens to plastic once the extra liquid is taken away
For more information on how this cool experiment works and for more fun activity ideas, visit http://www.howweelearn.com/turn-milk-into-plastic/?utm_content=buffer27dc8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer