What you’ll need:
· Empty toilet paper roll
· Mylar sheets (make sure they are the thicker kind)
· White cardstock
· Bendy straw
· Markers, stickers, glitter, or anything you want to decorate your circle
· Paint (only if you want to paint your toilet paper roll)
What to do:
1. If you want to paint your toilet paper roll, you should do this first and then allow it to dry.
2. Cut the mylar sheet into three strips of equal size. Mainly, you will want the strips to be able to just fit inside your toilet paper roll without falling out.
3. Place your three strips of mylar beside each other with the shiny side facing down. Tape them together, leaving a little sliver of space between them.
4. Now you can fold the mylar strips together to form a triangular prism. Tape this together as well.
5. Place your triangular prism of mylar into your empty toilet paper roll.
6. Next, take your straw and cut off the bendy end. Tape this to the end of your toilet paper roll, making sure that the bendy part is hanging over the side.
7. The next step is to take your cardstock and cut out three circles from it. The circles should be about 3.75 inches in diameter. To make it easier, print out a template from the internet!
8. Poke a hole in the middle of each of your circles and begin to decorate each one. Use any of the materials you have and make a different design with each circle!
9. Place your decorated circle onto the bendy part of your straw, making sure that it is facing the kaleidoscope.
10. Peer into your kaleidoscope and see your designs change because of all the reflections!
For more information and pictures, visit: https://buggyandbuddy.com/science-for-kids-how-to-make-a-kaleidoscope/.
Comments are closed.