You will need:
- White flowers (you can use roses, carnations, and daisies)
- Food coloring
- Glasses or vases
What you need to do:
- Trim the flowers down to fit your vase. This also helps to absorb the colored water more quickly. Fill your vases with the desired amount of water and then have kids add a few drops of food coloring and a flower to each vase.
- Have kids make observations and hypothesize what will happen to the flowers as they live in the colored water. Then place the flowers in a sunny spot.
- Have kids observe the flowers over the next several days. As the flowers drink the water they will magically change color.
- See them grow more colorful over time!
For some great pictures of the process and result of the experiment please visit the source site http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2012/02/transform-those-valentines-day-flowers.html