DIY Lava Lamp
- Vegetable Oil
- Food Colouring
- Alka-Seltzer Tablets
- A Tall Skinny Container
- Fill up your container with 2/3rd of oil and 1/3rd of water, leaving room at the top for the bubbles.
- Add 4-5 drops of food colouring to your container.
- Add ½ an Alka-Seltzer tablet into the container.
- Watch your lava lamp bubbles reach the top of the container! You can keep adding Alka-Seltzer tablets to your lava lamp.
How does it happen?
- Bubbles are created because water and oil do not mix together. This is because the oil has non-molar molecules which do not dissolve or mix with the polar molecules of water.
- These bubbles of water and food colouring are then pushed through the oil and to the surface of the container by the fizzing in the Alka-Seltzer tablets creating the lava lamp bubbles on top and below the oil!
For more information, and pictures, please visit http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/diy-lava-lamp/