- Twirl your pipe cleaners around a pencil to form an icicle, or twist three halves of pipe cleaners at the middle to form a six-point snowflake.
- Tie a string to the top of each ornament; make sure it’s long enough to form a loop so that the ornaments can hang on the tree!
- Dissolve 9tbsp of borax in very hot water (boiled water works best). Stir the mixture until it’s completely clear. Pour this mixture into a glass jar
- Suspend the pipe cleaners in the solution by tying the string to a popsicle stick (or spoon) and setting it across the opening of the jar. Make sure when you put the pipe cleaner in the jar that it isn’t touching the bottom or side. If your pipe cleaners are in the shape of snow flakes, make sure they’re small enough to fit through the opening of the jar.
- Let the ornaments sit in the solution overnight. By morning your ornaments will be ready to hang on the tree!
For more information or other cool experiments, visit http://happyhooligans.ca/crystallized-icicle-ornaments-borax-pipe-cleaners/